Monday, October 3, 2011

Hey aquarists use polyester fiber and qulit batting as aquarium filters

Got the strangest call early last week from a pet supply store. They are looking for non recycled clean polyester fiber for thier aqaurium filters.
I was reluctant to ship as I felt perhaps the polyester as it is treated to be slick and bouncy may do harm to the fish.
I searched the internet AND was surprised to find that that many posts and forums that advocate the use of polyester fiber based filters to save the consumer money.
Variations included quilt batting made up of polyester fiber.
I checked both fresh water and salt water tanks , yes consumers are using filters made up of the polyester fiber or small pieces of polyester quilt batting.
They are claiming savings of up to 90% over the cost of packaged filters bought in the specialty shops.
I remember when I had an aquarium I dreaded the days i had to change filters as it was an added cost to my low student budget.
Using polyester fiber or quilt batting will make these costs insignificant. Remember do not use recycled fiber as it may come from unidentified sources. Enjoy your hobby

No comments:

Post a Comment